Tuesday, February 17, 2015

LEGACY


My father died a year ago on this date.

I am not even sure where that year went. I did go hunting a few times. I even took my kids hunting. I will never forget the first time my daughter shot at a turkey with her bow. That happened this past year. But I did not get to share that story with my dad. What I do get to do is carry on something he shared with me. He shared his favorite things with me. He loved hunting, fishing and the outdoors and he understood that sharing those things with his family would teach them that the memories we create stay with us for eternity. He was a man determined to create good memories—not necessarily for himself, but for those he loved most. I realize now that by pursuing that for others, he gained so much for himself.

My daughter’s first hunting experience was not like my first goose hunt in any way except that she experienced it with her dad. I hope, some day, when I can no longer go with her into the woods that she will remember fondly a day which means more to me than all my individual hunting pursuits combined. I hope she will understand that there was a man who wanted to take her turkey hunting and who wanted to share his love of the outdoors with her simply because he loved her.

I understand now why my dad took me hunting. I understand why he taught me to push myself. I understand why he sometimes had to discipline me. I understand that it was all because he loved me. I should have given him more credit for that.

I told my father on his death bed that I would honor him by the way I lived my life. A year has passed since I made that pledge and I have failed to live many of those days with the honor his legacy demands. God tells us to honor our parents. I believe we do that best by honoring Him. I believe if we do that best, not by what we say, but by how we live. I believe we do that best by sharing ourselves and our love with others. I pray I can better emulate my dad during the next year.

Aim True.

No comments:

Post a Comment